Charro beans go perfect as a side dish to just about any Mexican dish. Cooked in the Instant Pot, this recipe easy to make and can be slightly modified to cook in a slow cooker as well!
Charro beans are one of my favorite Mexican foods. Beans take a long time to cook so if you’re like me and don’t have the time to pre-plan all your meals, cooking a pot of beans is usually an after thought and is seldom included in a weeknight meal. I love this recipe because it takes about 15 minutes to prep and the Instant Pot does the rest!
Need something to go with this side dish? Check out my recipe for Instant Pot pork carnitas!
Instant Pot Charro Beans
- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound dried pinto beans, rinsed (I use black beans)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
- Set the Instant Pot on “Saute”. Cook the chopped bacon until crispy.
- Add the onions and garlic, and cook until the onions are soft and slightly transparent.
- Turn off the Instant Pot. Add the remaining ingredients to the pot.
- Put the lid on your Instant Pot and make sure the vent is sealed. Set the Instant Pot on “beans/chili” normal mode (or manual high pressure) for 30 minutes.
- Once done, turn off the Instant Pot, and let the pressure naturally release completely (30-45 minutes).
If you are using the slow cooker method, you will follow the same steps by cooking the bacon, onions, and garlic in a pan first. You will then add all of the ingredients together in the slow cooker, plus 1 cup of water, and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8-10 hours.
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, I receive a small commission.