Pork carnitas is one of the most popular Mexican dishes and is hard to resist with an easy recipe like this!
I’m always on the go and pre-planning meals is not always practical so this recipe allows me to make juicy and tender pork roast with minimal effort. I love this pressure cooker recipe because I can have carnitas tacos ready in just 90 minutes. These carnitas are also delicious in quesadillas, bowls, salads, and burritos!
Instant Pot Pork Carnitas
- 3-4 pounds boneless pork shoulder trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces Mexican beer
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Season the pork with salt and pepper.
- Set the Instant Pot on “Saute”. Heat half the olive oil in the Instant Pot and sear half the pork pieces until evenly brown. Transfer the meat to a bowl and repeat with the remaining oil and pork.
- Transfer the remaining cooked pork to a bowl and turn off the Instant Pot.
- Pour the beer, orange juice, and lime juice into the Instant Pot.
- Scrape the bottom of the pot to remove any browned bits stuck to the pot.
- Stir in the rest of the remaining ingredients and mix well. Return the browned pork and juice to the Instant Pot.
- Put the lid on your Instant Pot and make sure the vent is sealed. Set the Instant Pot on manual high pressure for 60 minutes.
- Once done, turn off the Instant Pot, and let the pressure naturally release for 15 minutes. Release the remaining pressure.
- Take the lid off the Instant Pot and remove the pork, leaving the liquid in the pot.
- Turn the Instant Pot to “Saute” and reduce the liquid for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, shred the meat.
- Turn off the Instant Pot and return the shredded meat to the pot. Toss the meat until it is fully coated with the liquid.
- Turn on the broiler on the oven to high with the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source.
- Transfer the shredded meat to a baking sheet and evenly spread the pork. Drizzle 2-3 tablespoons of the cooking liquid over the pork.
- Broil the pork for 4-5 minutes or until the edges of the meat begin to brown.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and flip the pork over using a spatula. Broil the meat for an additional 4-5 minutes or until the edges of the meat begin to brown.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and serve.
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, I receive a small commission.